A blog about a kid who dreams about pretty girls, championship rings and sports writing.

Tuesday, February 24, 2009

A Lesson Learned: The Magic 8-Ball Never Lies

For the longest time I lived by a simple saying.

"The magic 8-ball never lies."

Since I was child, I have been fascinated with the wonders of the black ball that sits on my bar. How did it always have the answers? How did could it tell the future despite sitting in a dark basement for most of the day? I always wondered. See, the magic 8-ball, no matter how sober, drunk or silly I was, always gave me a truthful answer.

So now I'm wondering to myself why on a trip to Chicago on a vacation weekend far, far away why I did not listen to the magic 8-ball's warning. I did everything to try to manipulate the answer I wanted out of it. I asked several versions of the same question. Yet, I still got the same answer.

Yes.

It is certain.

Definitely.

Then I asked in a backwards kind of way as I tried to trick it to give me the answer I wanted.

The answers remained the same. And still, I went on my happy way in an attempt to defy magic.

I tried specifics in an attempt to really throw off the ball.

Didn't work.

And for some reason, I sit here trying to figure out why I did such a stupid thing. If I've always lived by the magic 8-ball, I shouldn't be surprised that I'm dying (not actually dying, of course) by it.

It gave me fair warning. I didn't take it. So maybe I deserve this fate.

I'm having an FML kind day, week, month and year (even though we're still early in 2009) and that damn thing warned me about this last year.

So now what?

I guess I'll ask when I go home in March.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I write sports. I blog about sports. That's all you need to know.