A blog about a kid who dreams about pretty girls, championship rings and sports writing.

Thursday, March 5, 2009

Behind the scenes of the MVC Tourney: Networking

So far, one of my favorite things about the Missouri Valley Conference Tournament has been socializing with other journalists. In fact, it is something I look forward to whenever I show up to cover a game.

At this stage of the game, being a senior only a few months from graduation, it's about contacts. My goal is to meet everybody and make a name for myself. So far, I have befriended photojournalist Bill Greenblatt, who kindly provided the DE with its photo tonight. That came in part for a connect I made during SIU football season, Indiana State sports information director Mike Williams, who directed me to Greenblatt when I came to him in search of a photo.

People who know me on a personal level know I am a genuine person. For that to also happen on a professional level and for it to be appreciated, makes me feel special.

I think one of the best contacts I have made so far was actually one I had made in Normal, Ill., and that's John Mullin of the Chicago Tribune. Mullin covered the Bears beat when I was a young newspaper reader and now, covers Illinois college hoops like a blanket.

Today I learned he teaches a class at DePaul and was in the midst of reading one of 20 feature stories he assigned his students. If I only had the opportunity to take a class with a Chicago sports writing legend, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

In the mean time, I am recruiting Mullin to appear on the newest DE staple: The Sports Huddle. A web exclusive video that usually focuses on SIU sports. If time permits, Mullin agreed, in principle, to appear.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

You should too.

So long from St. Louis ... where's the after party at?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I write sports. I blog about sports. That's all you need to know.